Family Law Attorney Susan E. Cohen
Susan is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, was selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, recognized by Super Lawyers as a Top 100 lawyer, a Top 50 woman lawyer, and a Top 25 woman lawyer in Michigan, was provided a Best Lawyer and Best Law Firm designation by US News and World Report, and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability.
During over twenty years of practice, Susan has guided her clients through the often complex legal and practical questions and processes which encompass the area of family law.
Susan addresses issues which may arise before, during and after the conclusion of complex divorce cases, contested custody matters, preparation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, property disputes, business or professional practice valuations, parenting time concerns, child and spousal support issues, mediation/arbitration, change in domicile, same sex marriage, and other family law matters.
Personal, Practical Solutions That Bring You Peace of Mind
Susan recognizes that despite the legal basis for these issues, there is also a significant personal component attached, which must be individually addressed with each client. Therefore, her representation is personal to your needs and knowledge to provide the confidence and strength, as necessary, to move forward.
She derives great professional satisfaction from helping her clients solve complex matrimonial problems while making challenging decisions. Her master’s degree in counseling allows her to assist families with conflict resolution through negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation, when necessary.
Susan practices primarily in the tri-county area of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties, but also handles cases in surrounding counties, and in Northern Michigan, including Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties.
Contact attorney Susan E. Cohen online or call her at 248-644-5600 to schedule a consultation to obtain information, have your specific questions answered and learn more about your own personal situation in a private and confidential setting.
Susan E. Cohen
Attorney Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Email: Email me
In over twenty years of practice, Susan Cohen has guided her clients through the myriad of complex legal and practical questions that can arise before, during and after the conclusion of family law cases. She has earned a reputation for integrity, accessibility and excellence based upon the results she has obtained addressing legal issues pertaining to divorce, property settlement, child related issues, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and other family law matters.
Susan recognizes that although these issues all have a legal basis, there is also a significant personal component attached, which must be individually addressed as needed with each client. She finds great professional satisfaction helping families solve complex matrimonial problems while making challenging decisions. Susan’s master’s degree in counseling has readily translated into her role as a skilled matrimonial law attorney who assists families with conflict resolution through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and trial, only if necessary.
Susan practices primarily in the tri-county area of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties, but also handles cases in surrounding counties, including Livingston, Washtenaw, Genessee and others. She also handles cases in Northern Michigan, including Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties.
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody
- Parenting Time
- Child Support
- Change in Domicile
- Property Division
- Spousal Support
- Other Financial Support
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Other Matrimonial Law Issues
- Michigan, 1992
- University of Detroit School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- Juris Doctor
- Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, Michigan
- Bachelor of Science
- Kingswood School Cranbrook
- High school graduate
- Co-Chair, Oakland County Bench Bar Conference Family Law Section
- Adjunct professor, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2009 – 2011
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2002-Present
- President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter, 2014-2015
- Secretary, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter, 2013-2014
- Treasurer, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter, 2012-2013
- Best Lawyers in America
- U.S. News, Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms
- Michigan SuperLawyer, 2007- Present
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Top 50 Women Lawyers in Michigan, 2008-Present
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan
- dBusiness Top 100 Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated SM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Top 25 Women Lawyers in Michigan, 2016-Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Elected to Section Council, 1999–2002
- State Bar of Michigan, Continuing Legal Education, Co-Chairman, 2000 – 2002
- Oakland County Bar Association, Family Law Committee, Past-Chair
- American Inns of Court, Barrister, 1997 – 1999
Pro Bono Activities
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Oakland County Bar Foundation
- Trustee, Michigan Inter-Professional Association on Marriage, Divorce and the Family, 1994-Present
- Appointed, Governor’s Task Force on Children’s Justice, 2002
Family Law Attorney Jacob N. Simon
Jacob Simon is licensed to practice law in Michigan and Florida. He currently practices at the Law Office of Susan E. Cohen in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, where he primarily focuses on family law, including divorce, custody, support, property division, and related matters.
Jacob is an adjunct professor at the Michigan State University College of Law, where he obtained his law degree, and teaches the Matrimonial Practice class. He has also written and presented for the Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
He is an active member of the Oakland County Bar Association Family Court Committee and the State Bar of Michigan Family Law Section.
Jacob and his wife live in Birmingham, Michigan.