Michigan Family Law Attorney Susan E. Cohen
Providing personal and practical advice.
In over twenty years of practice, Susan Cohen has guided her clients through the myriad of complex legal and practical questions that can arise before, during and after the conclusion of family law cases. She has earned a reputation for integrity, accessibility and excellence based upon the results she has obtained addressing legal issues pertaining to divorce, property settlement, child related issues, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and other family law matters.
Susan recognizes that although these issues all have a legal basis, there is also a significant personal component attached, which must be individually addressed as needed with each client. She finds great professional satisfaction helping families solve complex matrimonial problems while making challenging decisions. Susan's master's degree in counseling has readily translated into her role as a skilled matrimonial law attorney who assists families with conflict resolution through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and trial, only if necessary.
Susan practices primarily in the tri-county area of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties, but also handles cases in surrounding counties, including Livingston, Washtenaw, Genessee and others. She also handles cases in Northern Michigan, including Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties.
Put your trust in a compassionate Michigan family law attorney
Contact attorney Susan E. Cohen online or call her at 248.644.5600 to make an appointment for a consultation where you will obtain information, have your specific questions answered and learn more about your own personal situation in a private setting.
Areas of practice
- University of Detroit, J.D.
- Oakland University, M.A. in Counseling
- Hillsdale College, B.S.
- Kingswood School Cranbrook
Honors & Awards
- Driven, Taking a ride through Divorce Land with family law attorney Susan E. Cohen
Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - 2002-Present
- Michigan Chapter President - 2014-2015
- Michigan Chapter Secretary - 2013-2014
- Michigan Chapter Treasurer - 2012-2013
- Best Lawyers in America
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms
Michigan SuperLawyer - 2007- Present
Michigan Super Lawyer - Top 50 Women Lawyers in Michigan - 2008-Present
Michigan Super Lawyer - Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan
dBusiness Top 100 Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Family Law Section
- Elected to Section Council, 1999 – 2002
- Co-Chairman, Continuing Legal Education, 2000 – 2002
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Past-Chair of the Family Law Committee
- Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellow
- Oakland County Bar Foundation Fellow
- Trustee, Michigan Inter-Professional Association on Marriage, Divorce and the Family, 1994-Present
- Co-Chair, Oakland County Bench Bar Conference Family Law Section
- Appointed, Governor's Task Force on Children's Justice, 2002
- American Inns of Court
- Barrister, 1997 – 1999
Teaching Positions held
- Adjunct professor, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2009 – 2011